Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Bad things happen in Indiana

Specifically, people attempt to cook Tex-Mex OR they know how to cook Tex-Mex but they dumb it down for Indianans (I refuse to use the word "Hoosier").

First of all, it's not spicy and I would have known this before I ever took a bite because the wait staff fall all over themselves to reassure the customers that "it's not spicy!!!". Well, ok, Jose, but what, then, is the point?

We've been out to three different mexican restaurants in the last several months and they are absolutely VILE, with the exception of the queso, which is pretty ok, except that the chips are made with yellow corn, ala 1979. The enchilada sauce is made with TOMATO and is just completely awful and wrong. It's not manicotti, it's an enchilada and the sauce is supposed to be made with chilis. The salsa has a weird spice in it, the tomatillo sauce is vinegary (I tasted Jamie's and wanted to wipe my tongue off with my napkin), and don't even bother to hope that the tortillas might be homemade. Only one place offered carne guisada and it was tough and tomatoey, and the "Texas fajitas"—OMG. I can't even describe how awful they were. How can you screw up fajitas?!? But they do! We ordered sopaipillas for desert and were really disappointed when they brought us bunuelos instead and they were covered in canned whipped cream and chocolate sauce. I'm sorry, but what the hell? So, I'll stick with Chipotle, which is a chain that, I believe, is owned by the McDonald's Corp., but it's *good* and their guacamole and barbacoa is freaking awesome, and cooking everything myownself. As Adam on Northern Exposure once said, "Do I want what you cook? NOOOOOO! I want what *I* cook!".

My friend, Jana, who is an ex-pat Texan living in southern Lousiana, sent me a box of stuff this last week (thank you, Jana!!!) which included tortillas and dirty rice mix that I can't get in the grocery store here. Jana and her husband, George, recently went to a schmancy Mardi Gras ball.




Looking fabulous, y'all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Sorry 'bout that. We have a good (I think?) Mexican place here in Valpo if you ever visit. And yes, Chipotle is good. And their guac is vegan, which means I can eat there easily with the Bug.