Last night was indeed back to school night, as Susanne has already posted. Due to the vagaries of schedules (my own, plus school number one, plus school number two) I wasn’t able to attend Jordan's ice cream social or the actual teacher presentation portion of Sam’s BTS night (stupid work! Why do we even have jobs?) but I was able to make it there in time to meet Sam’s new teacher, talk to her about the curriculum, and see her room. Susanne, Claudia, and Jordan pulled into the lot just a minute before me, having taken their ice cream to go, and we all went in together.
(Even though there was nothing I could do about it, I worry that Jordan had hurt feelings because anything unequal right now is very fraught. But I will be seeing her classroom tomorrow when we drop her off at the first day of school, and then I’ll get to meet her teacher more formally at a BTS night at her school next week.)
So anyway, we got to meet Sam's teacher, who seems very down to earth and no nonsense. She's confident that she can keep Sam challenged throughout the school-year, which is what we're looking for. Several of her prior students have graduated from her class into the stretch program, so that was also encouraging. Sam then got to take Claudia and Jordan and Susanne on a tour of the school, which made her very happy, and that was it for back to school night.
This morning was her official first day, which is at least two weeks too early if you ask me, but then, nobody did. We got there this morning a little before Sam and her mom, watched the kids mill around in the meantime (like they do), and then walked Sam to her room. Sam seemed pretty cheerful about being back in school. She said hi to some of the other kids from last year, gave us all hugs, and then went about happily loading school supplies into her desk.
(This is the grade where Sam finally gets to keep her own school supplies! Wooo! She gets to put her own name on them and everything. Take that, Trotskyites!)
So now tomorrow is the first day for Claudia and Jordan, and that’s that. I am so not ready for Summer to be over. Still, it was a great summer, and we’re all looking forward to a very successful school year.
(Day one, evening update: Sam reports that she likes her teacher very much.)
No comments:
Post a Comment